Elections

William L. Benoit's Campaign 2000: A Functional Analysis of Presidential PDF

By William L. Benoit

ISBN-10: 0585483175

ISBN-13: 9780585483177

ISBN-10: 0742529134

ISBN-13: 9780742529137

ISBN-10: 0742529142

ISBN-13: 9780742529144

Crusade 2000 applies the sensible thought of political crusade discourse--analyzing how messages acclaim, assault, or defend--to numerous assorted kinds of crusade verbal exchange within the 2000 U.S. presidential fundamental and basic election. those varieties in

Show description

Read Online or Download Campaign 2000: A Functional Analysis of Presidential Campaign Discourse (Communication, Media, and Politics) PDF

Similar elections books

New PDF release: The Hand of the Past in Contemporary Southern Politics

A critical tale of up to date southern politics is the emergence of Republican majorities within the region’s congressional delegation. Acknowledging the importance and scope of the political swap, James M. Glaser argues that, however, strands of continuity have an effect on the perform of crusade politics in very important methods.

A Catholic in the White House?: Religion, Politics, and John - download pdf or read online

In accordance with various students and pundits, JFK's victory in 1960 symbolized America's evolution from a politically Protestant country to a pluralistic one. The anti-Catholic prejudice that many blamed for presidential candidate Alfred E. Smith's crushing defeat in 1928 ultimately looked as if it would were triumph over.

New PDF release: Elections without Order: Russia's Challenge to Vladimir

Russians wish loose elections and order. even supposing their political elites have had no hassle in delivering applicants and events within the final decade, predictability in way of life and the guideline of legislation have suffered. This booklet is set Russia's try and in attaining democratization backwards, via keeping elections with no need created a latest nation.

Download PDF by Bernard Grofman, Lisa Handley: Redistricting in Comparative Perspective (Comparative

The purpose of this booklet is threefold. First to install one position for the ease of either students and practitioners the elemental facts on redistricting practices in democracies worldwide. Remarkably, this information hasn't ever sooner than been accumulated. moment, to supply a chain of brief case reports that glance in additional aspect at specific international locations with reference to the associations and practices that experience advanced for redistricting and the character of the debates that experience arisen.

Additional info for Campaign 2000: A Functional Analysis of Presidential Campaign Discourse (Communication, Media, and Politics)

Example text

Furthermore, it is possible to speak of the image a candidate projects on policy, or the issues. , Friedenberg, 1994; Hinck, 1993; Leff & Mohrmann, 1974; Levine, 1995; Rosenthal, 1966; Rudd, 1986; Stuckey & Antczak, 1995; West, 1993). For example, Benoit and Wells (1996) argue that “candidates’ images are intimately tied to their actions, the policies they embrace, and the stand they take (however vague) on the issues’’ (pp. 26-27). Devlin (1995) explains that “I make no distinction [between image and issue ads] because issue ads really do create image impressions on the part of the viewer, and image ads can convey substantive information” (p.

O reflect “almost perfect” inter-coder reliability (p. 165). Thus, 88 percent of our kappas indicate “almost perfect” agreement and the remaining 12 percent indicate substantial agreement. These results give us confidence in the coding of these messages. 5. Issues Important to Voters, Conventions (7/25-26/00) Issue Poll Economy 12 Education 12 Health Care 9 Social Security 8 Taxes 6 Guns 6 Abortion 6 National Defense 5 Medicare 4 Environment 4 Budget Surplus 3 Jobs 3 Foreign Affairs Gallup (2000).

3 also provides examples of acclaims and attacks on the three forms of character). As can be inferred from the discussion of policy, only two message forms devoted more time to character than policy. During the primary phase of the campaign, 42 percent of utterances in debates, 52 percent of comments in television spots, and 43 percent of remarks on talk radio concerned character. At the nominatingconventions,28 percent of keynote comments, 39 percent of acceptance statements, and 67 percent of the spouses’ statements discussed character.

Download PDF sample

Campaign 2000: A Functional Analysis of Presidential Campaign Discourse (Communication, Media, and Politics) by William L. Benoit


by Robert
4.5

Rated 4.96 of 5 – based on 25 votes